Tuesday, March 11, 2014

My One Thousand Gifts #111 - 123

Each week, I'm highlighting new items I've added to my list of one thousand gifts. These aren't always big things. In fact, sometimes it's the littlest things that stick out the most. 

This week, I've added 13 new things...

#111 - a movie guide disguised as a Kindergartener

As we were watching the movie during Elementary Camp last Friday, one of the sweet Kindergarteners would lean over every few minutes to tell her teacher and me what was about to happen. Or if we gasped, she'd tell us not to worry. Or if a "scary" (to her) part was coming up, she'd give us a warning. Or if a funny part was coming up, she'd tell us to "get ready to laugh." It was adorable and made watching Frozen all the more enjoyable! 

#112 -  a productive weekend

Last Saturday I decided to spend the day at school and catch up on some grading and do some long range planning. I'll be honest. I'm usually quite the procrastinator. But this past weekend, I must've gotten bit by the productivity bug...something I'm quite thankful for :)

#113 - writing in a new journal

I can't explain it. But there's just something about it...

#114 - a jar of jalepenos

Thank you American Store in Dakar for importing this jar of spicy goodness. You've jazzed up almost every dish I've made this week. My mouth might be a little on fire, but I love 'em!

#115 - chats with my mom

They may not be long, since calls cost a small fortune, but I am so thankful for these!

#116 - iMovie

This program is helping me make my video to show at churches while on itineration this next year or two. With every picture I add, I say a prayer for the Wolof I'll be working with and the men and women that are (and will be) helping me get back to this work I love.

#117 - someone to fill in for me in Kids Club

I had a mandatory staff meeting yesterday afternoon, leaving me not knowing what to do during Kids Club. I had to be at the meeting, but I couldn't leave the other lady that helps me by herself. But thankfully, a sweet lady who's visiting her daughter & son-in-law (both teachers at DA) offered to help supervise my "big kids" (high schoolers) leading games for the "little kids" (elementary). So yay for people that step up and help...even though it's their vacation and I'm sure they'd rather do anything than stand in the sun watching a bunch of screaming kids play a game. Haha :)

#118 - praying friends

What a blessing these people are!

#119 - a package of goodies

I got a (totally unexpected, but AWESOME) package this week! I've already made the batch of Chocolate Turtle Brownies...although I forgot to include the caramel sauce in them. So I used it as a dip for a granny smith apple...yum! And I've already opened a pack of the construction paper to make a "We Miss You" book for two sweet Elementary friends who had to go back to the States due to a family emergency.

#120 - reminders that someone's praying for/thinking about me

It's such a great feeling to get a note in the mail saying "We love you and we're praying for you." It's amazing how much those 8 words meant to me earlier this week.

#121 - the knowledge that Spring Break's almost here

I know. I know. I shouldn't wish my life away. But y'all... This is the busiest quarter at school (in my opinion) and feels like it stretches on FOREVER. There are so many event. Also I've had a lot more in-depth grading to do because it seems like all of the assignments I've given have intensified. What's up with kids getting smarter?! :) Anyways... My point is that knowing that Spring Break's almost here is what's getting me through these busy days :)

#122 - my cookbooks

As I sorted through my cookbooks earlier this week, deciding which I would keep and which I would give away, I couldn't help but think about how "well loved" and used they all are. When I first moved to Senegal, I didn't know how to cook. I could make scrambled eggs. That's it. Fast forward a little over 4 1/2 years and I love cooking. I love reading recipe books. I love trying new things in the kitchen. I love having people over for dinner. I love sharing recipes and meals. I love it. So as crazy as it sounds, parting with some of these cookbooks was a little sad. But at the same time, it made me thankful...thankful for the memories they held - and thankful for the chance to bless someone else that loves cookbooks as much (or maybe more) as me :)

#123 - the hearts of children

I had the elementary kids write notes to two of our friends who had to make an emergency trip back to the States a few weeks ago. The plan had been to maybe draw them pictures or something simple like that. But these kids blew my mind with their sweet, encouraging, prayer-minded notes. I was so proud of them for how they did! I'm thankful for the hearts of these kids!

And in case you want a recap of the other things on my list, you can find them below...

No comments:

Post a Comment