Thursday, March 27, 2014

My One Thousand Gifts #'s 130 - 142

Each week, I'm highlighting new items I've added to my list of one thousand gifts. These aren't always big things. In fact, sometimes it's the littlest things that stick out the most. 

This week, I've added 13 new things...

#130 - good Parent Teacher Conferences

I'm thankful for good meetings, sweet parents, and the work I was able to get done in between conferences.

#131 - Spring Break

Woohoo!!!! :)

#132 - ear plugs

They're building a building just behind my  apartment building. And since they like to start building WAY too early in the morning, I've been thankful for ear plugs every morning this week. Let trying to sleeping late continue :)

#133 - a zapper 



I'm so thankful for this amazing invention! And while I realize all creatures have a purpose I see no reason in letting mosquitos live :)

#134 - sermon podcasts

I've been listening to a few different sermon podcasts each day since being on Break. I turn them on in the morning and have them playing as part of my morning devotions. And I've been turning them back on at night when I'm cooking and eating dinner. It's been nice incorporating a little extra church into my days.

#135 - progress in the sorting/packing process

In the beginning, I drug everything out of all of my cabinets, drawers, closets. I wanted to make sure I could see everything I had and go through it piece by piece to decide whether I'd keep it, give it away, sell it, or trash it. I'm glad no one came by while this was going on because it looked like a tornado had hit my apartment. But I knew there was method to my madness. And it's been nice to see progress each day since starting this massive sorting process. And FYI...it no longer looks like a tornado hit :)

#136 - time to sort/pack

When I have a big project to tackle, I like to reserve a big chunk of time to get it done. I'm not a big fan of working on it for a few minutes here, a few minutes there. So knowing that this sorting/packing process is a big one (possibly bigger than when I moved to Senegal 4 1/2 years ago), I knew I wanted a big chunk of time to get it done. That's why I waited 'til Spring Break to tackle it. Thankfully, we have 2 weeks off, so my plan had been to do a little bit each day and get it finished. So far I'm on track with what I planned, so all's good. What a blessing this time is (and has been)!

#137 - Skype working again

Last week, Skype decided not to let me (or anyone here) making calls to landlines/cell phones in the States. Well, that wasn't great since I needed to start contacting pastors and setting up services for when I'm back in the States. Thankfully, though, Skype started back working on Sunday. Praise JESUS!

#138 - water filter




As I was cleaning and then refilling my water filter the other night, I realized that I sometimes take this thing for granted. Because of a filter like this one (...which was in my first classroom at DA), I can have safe, clean drinking water and ice. So I guess technically this isn't a "little" thing to be thankful for, but still...

#139 - the option to rent movies through itunes

Sometimes I don't want to pay $20 for a movie...especially if it's one that I'll probably never ever watch again. So I figured I'd finally use up the last of my itunes credit from Christmas to rent a few movies, since I have more free time than usual.

#140 - not setting an alarm

Ah... It's pure bliss not having to listen to that obnoxious alarm in the mornings. Ha! :)

#141 - international calling/texting

I'm thankful that when there's stuff going on with my family, they can get in touch with me so I'm not totally out of the loop. I'm also thankful that I can call/text them too. It may cost a lot, but it's so worth it sometimes. ...especially when there's health issues going on (which seem to be all too common with my family).

#142 - this quote



Since starting my list of one thousand gifts, I've made it my mission to focus more on the seemingly little things in life. The last thing I do before going to sleep is think about (and thank God for) the "little" things He's blessed me with during the day. And the first thing I do each morning is think ahead about the things I know will be coming - and thank God, in advance, for those blessings too! I found this quote this morning while searching for something else and loved it! 

And in case you want a recap of the other things on my list, you can find them below...

No comments:

Post a Comment