Thursday, March 22, 2018

Thursday's Thoughts

The world lost a beautiful soul yesterday.

Caleb, a c/o 2017 graduate of my school, passed away yesterday morning. 

My heart is breaking for his parents, siblings, family, and friends.

I told my mom last night, "He was only 19. So young!"

I never taught Caleb.

But I have fond memories of him. 

I remember meeting him as a 5th grader. He was a tall kid and always had a smile on his face. He was so sweet/kind to everyone. In elementary school, he almost always had a soccer ball out playing at recess or lunch and before/after school. I remember during Elementary Camp my first year here at DA, he and his buddies chit-chatting until far too late, and one of my co-workers and I had to shush them so they'd go back to sleep. It didn't work because they were just so excited. So what'd we do? We laughed and let them chat and giggle and play with their flashlights and we enjoyed the sweetness of these 5th grade boys enjoying themselves at their 5th grade camp-out :)

I remember his encouraging attitude. I don't know how many times I saw Caleb sitting with a friend having a hard day, with his arm around them, encouraging them. Or times I saw him running with his sister or another elementary student during a race at school, when they needed that encouragement... Or when his classmates were having a hard time with school/life and he rose up and encouraged them to continue on the right track.

Then over the last 2 years, Caleb was one of my students' Best Buds (a program where we pair every elementary student with a high school student). My student LOVED Best Buds days each month. And that was all because of Caleb's attention and care of J. One time in particular, I remember J telling me, "Ms. Nichols, I just think it's so cool that even though he's so much older than me, he still plays with me and talks to me and hangs out with me. And he really listens to me. He looks me in the eye and he REALLY listens. Even if older friends come by, he STILL listens to me. He makes me feel so special."

 Caleb was like that with everyone. He made anyone he was with feel special. He was such an incredible role model, not just for his Best Bud, but for all students. He was so smart. He was considerate of others. He was well-behaved, respectful and polite. Caleb was the kind of student a teacher dreams of having in his/her class. 

Caleb lit up a room.

And when he came out here in November on a surprise "mission," I remember standing in the office and smiling at how many people instantly lit up upon walking in and seeing him standing there. 

The news of Caleb's passing has effected our whole community here. 

I can't even imagine the pain being felt right now by his family.

Caleb was loved by so many.

So there are so many people hurting right now.

But, as one of our 4th grade girls said yesterday in Kids Club...

It's so very sad. 

But you know what's cool? 

It's cool that Caleb gets to hang out with Jesus now.

So yes, I've cried. 

And I imagine, I'll probably even cry some more.

But I'll do like that sweet 4th grader...

And I'll think of how cool it is that Caleb is now hanging out with Jesus. 

And that is the hope that comes with a relationship with our Savior.

What a sweet, sweet hope that is.

And what a precious thought...

Caleb hanging out with Jesus

Image may contain: 1 person, standing and outdoor

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these tender memories of Caleb. Sadness, tears and rejoicing all in one. He has finished his course and now he gets to "hang out with Jesus". Blessing on you all as you grieve this great loss.
    Karen Ames
    Emmanuel Baptist Church and
    Converge IM missionary

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely tribute. You made me feel like I knew him.
    [from Jennifer Bowers]

    ReplyDelete