Friday, May 17, 2019

10 Things I Wish I Knew Before Becoming a Missionary


Happy Friday Y'all

Last week, I shared a few things I wish I'd known before becoming a teacher. And since I had so much fun making that list, I thought I'd do another one, but on another of my favorite topics of discussion...

Missions 

Almost 10 years ago, I landed in Senegal, West Africa for the first time. And from that moment, my life/perspectives/worldview was forever changed.

And over the past almost 10 years, I've learned a LOT. 



There are so many things I wish I would've known before becoming a missionary. 

Things (in no specific order) like... 

1) Goodbyes are hard.



Oh dear me, this is so true. I had no idea how hard it would be until I held my 4 month old niece in my arms, crying my eyes out because I knew I'd be missing the majority of her little life while living/serving far away.

Or when I said Goodbye to sick family members after a summer of visiting them regularly, not knowing if they'd be alive when I returned again.

Or each and every single time I say goodbye to my mom and my brother and sister-in-law and my nieces (along with all the rest of my extended family members), not knowing when the next time I'll see them will be. 

Goodbyes are just so hard, y'all. 


2) Not all missionaries are out there building literal church buildings and preaching from behind a pulpit.

Ok, so I did actually know this. But so many do not...

Missionaries wear all sorts of hats.

* preachers * construction workers * teachers * doctors * coaches * orphanage managers * photographers and videographers * school directors * coffee shop owners * psychologists * 

 Etc. Etc. Etc. 

 3) Sacrifices Made

Missionaries make many sacrifices. 

We miss important family events - births, deaths, weddings, birthday parties, graduations, important family milestones, etc.

Many of us give up the gift of consistent electricity and water.

Many of us give up access to good medical care.

We give up comforts of home. For many of us, that means living in a place with no American foods/restaurants, nothing that reminds us of "home." 

Many of us give up a lot of our independence. We can't drive in our host country. We can't fluently speak the language/communicate with our neighbors. We can't do all the things we used to be able to do so well back "home."

But ask any of us about this and we'll tell you the same thing...

The sacrifices are worth it. 

They're so incredibly worth it for souls won for the Kingdom.
4) You learn to appreciate the seemingly little things.

I still remember the day I found a chocolate cake mix at the store. It's a little sad how happy that made me. And yes, I did pay far too much money for it. And it was worth every single penny. 

Or how about when our American Food Store started carrying kale or Vick's Vapo-rub or my favorite Ivory Body Wash. Y'all have no idea...

Or when you're in the States, fundraising, working to raise your missions budget and people you don't even know stop you in Sunday School or after the church service or even in the aisle at Wal-Mart... They stop you to tell you they've been praying for you or they stop you to give a donation to your missions budget or to give you some school supplies for the class you're starting overseas. 

5) Technology is a great thing.

Plus, in terms of missions, specifically... I can email pastors and supporters and set up speaking engagements and meetings, even before I make it back to the U.S. I can send newsletters and prayer updates. I can share pictures and stories and more, keeping my supporters up-to-date on my ministry here in Senegal. 

And on a more personal side... Y'all, we live in a time when I can be 4,000 miles and an ocean away from my mom but I can call (or video chat with) her and talk 'til my heart's content. Now... It may cost a lot. But it's so worth it.

Also, I can receive adorable videos and pictures of my nieces, allowing me to keep up-to-date on their sweet little lives even though I'm not physically there to experience all the birthday parties and dance recitals and all of that.  
6) Singleness on the field can be hard.

It's hard sometimes to be single on the mission field. This is especially true when you're the only single person on your team. There are a zillion and one reasons as to why this is true. But I'm not going to get into them here.

But know this... It's hard. So if you're on the field and you have a Single on your team, check in on them periodically. Invite them over. Make sure they feel included.

7) Planting/Growing takes a long time.

There are missionaries who have been on the field for decades who have yet to see the fruit of their labor. A co-worker's parents recently FINALLY finished the translation of the Bible in a certain people group's heart language. And y'all... It took 30 years! Yes, 30 years of pouring their heart into this work.
8) Learn the language

For most missionaries, you don't have a choice in this. But come on. Even if your ministry is like mine and you work in English, you can still learn the language of the people around. Speak to the shopkeepers and the artisan vendors. Speak to the guys carting vegetables around your neighborhood and the taxi drivers taking you around town. Speak to the nationals who work in your school/office. Speak to the servers at the restaurants where you eat. Speak in their heart language.
 
9) Flexibility is key.

 It seems simple. But it's so true.

Life is so not the same overseas. But that's good. It's worth it to step out of your comfort zone from time to time. Go with the flow. Be flexible.

10) Dig into the Word.

Seems like a no brainer, right?

Speaking from experience... When you move overseas, you may not have access to a church with preaching and worship like you're used to. And that's not always a bad thing. But I promise you. It can be hard. 

And it's times like that, especially, when you find your soul feeling dry/thirsty, that you need to dig into the Word even more, clinging to The Father, and allowing Him to re-fill your cup. 

So, stay in the Word. Stay praying. Stay close to God. Don't forget to replenish your own soul in your pursuit to filling other's...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

And then, because why not...

Here are a few "honorable mentions" I thought I'd add to the list.

Set boundaries.

Know the culture.

Home

And so much more...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Today, I'm joining ErikaAndrea, and Narci and for their weekly Friday Favorites linkup. Click one of their names to and join the fun

2 comments: