Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Home Assignments

Happy Tuesday, Y'all

Today, I'm joining Ashley and Erika for their monthly Tuesday Talk link-up, where we, bloggers, come together and talk about whatever is on our mind at the moment. I typically try to think of one specific topic to talk about.



In January, I shared an introduction of myself and in February, I shared a random list of little things that had made me smile recently. In March, I talked about being a Special Ed. Teacher. And then in April, I shared details from my super short, but super nice Spring Break trip to the US.

So what's on my mind today?

It's Home Assignments.

For those in the non-missions world, a Home Assignment, or Furlough (or Itineration as it's called in the A/G) is a time when you leave your field/place of missions service for an extended period of time (typically at least 6 months to a year - sometimes more). Now, because I'm a teacher, my missions organization doesn't typically require me to take the year or longer version of Home Assignment. Instead, I typically spend 6-8 weeks in the summer each year in the U.S. Now... If my missions account were to drop significantly, this would change.

A few weeks ago, I read an article about Home Assignments by Krista Horn on The True Purpose of Home Assignment and it caught me by surprise just how much it spoke to me. I'd definitely recommend anyone interacting with missionaries on Home Assignment read this article at some point.

And yes, a few of the details might be slightly different for me since I don't have a husband or children. 

But still... 

This article is so true. 

I love my times at "home." 

But my times at home aren't just for "vacation."

And sure there's some, but my times at home rarely include a lot of rest/relaxation. 

They're busy and full of traveling, making phone calls and attending various appointments/meetings. 

I spend almost every single Sunday and Wednesday on the road, speaking in churches, in Sunday School classes or Youth Groups, or at Bible Studies, and sometimes even over coffee or dinner.

I'm sending and reading and replying to emails, staying in contact with supporters and missions leaders.

And this doesn't count the other responsibilities I have due to the teaching side of my job. I'm planning ahead for the upcoming school year - planning lessons, researching and creating, attending workshops and meetings, prepping IEPs, reading and staying current, and so much more.

Plus, when I'm back in the US in the summer, I have to shop for 6 months to a year at a time, planning every purchase carefully. These school, food, and household supplies come out of my pocket. They're not paid for with mission funds. So those big shopping trips have to be planned very carefully. Plus, it takes time and energy to do that. Not to mention all the time it takes to pack...

And during that time, I still enjoy spending time with my family and friends, packing in all the memory-making time I can, so I can use those memories to hold me over until I'm able to see them again.


And I feel like I need to clarify a bit... 

I don't say these things to complain. I'm just writing this to clarify how things are (for me) and to answer some questions I know others have had.

Home Assignments can be a confusing time for missionaries and non-missionaries alike.

But Home Assignments aren't all bad.

In fact, if you ask most missionaries, we'll tell you the same thing.

Sure, it can be hard. But it's worth it. It's worth it to reconnect with supporters. It's worth it to meet that new niece or nephew who was born while we were on the field. It's worth it to cross so many things off our To Do List. It's worth it to eat Chik-fil-a. Ha! :) Seriously... It's worth it to do all the things we can to connect with the men and women who love and support and encourage us while we're on the field. So yes, Home Assignments are indeed worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment