Wednesday, February 14, 2018

A Life Remembered


Growing up, my mom often told us about this incredibly sweet couple in the church she attended from her teenage years until her early years of marriage.

They showered her with love when her mom passed away.

They were instrumental in her getting to church.

They were instrumental in her growing in her faith.

They were instrumental in her getting her License to preach.

They were an encouragement when she started preaching/teaching in church, at a time when many women were not encouraged by most to do so.

And on and on.

Fast forward to 2015. My dad had just passed away and my mom decided to go back "home" to Pineview Assembly in Marion, AL., the church she started out in...

At the time, I was living in the States, teaching in Selma. And since I wouldn't have time after work to make it to my own church, I started visiting hers on Wednesdays.

And I fell in love with this couple I'd heard about all those years.

And as I prepared to head back to Senegal, this couple was just as incredibly encouraging and supportive of me as they were for my mom all those years ago.

And once I got back to Senegal, I knew I could count on them for their prayers.

And that big ol' hug when I got back home for a visit...

So now fast forward to yesterday.

Bro. Junior passed away.

Hearing the news broke my heart.

And I'm sad.

I am so sad that when I come back for a visit this summer, I won't get to hear him excitedly say, "Our missionary's back home again."

I'm sad I won't get to hear his signature voice singing in worship on Sunday mornings.

I'm sad I won't get to hear his prayers. Oh my word, his prayers... This man was a prayer warrior y'all. Seriously... It was inspiring just to listen to him pray.

And I'm sad for his sweet wife of 62 years.

62 years!

I'm sad for his 3 children and their spouses.

I'm sad for his grandchildren.

I'm sad for his church family and his community.

But y'all, even though I'm sad, I can't help but smile and rejoice...

This man, who has devoted his life to serving His Savior...

To worshiping the Lord always...

This man is finally home in Heaven. 

He's finally in the presence of our Heavenly Father. 

And I bet he's singing those beautiful worship songs with the heavenly angelic choir.

So if you will... 

Help me pray for his family, his church, and his community.

And help me rejoice in the joyous reunion that was held in Heaven yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment