Monday, February 12, 2018

February's Coffee Date

Today, I'm joining Erin for her monthly Coffee Date link-up, where we pretend we're on a coffee date with a friend and we share whatever's on our hearts at the moment.


Although, instead of a coffee date, I would like to think that we'd be hanging out at the house, having lunch/dinner (or midnight snacks if we were here in Senegal) and that we would be watching the Winter Olympics and discussing that. Then once the boring sports events came on (yes, Curling... I'm talking to you), I'd imagine that we would probably turn the tv off and chat. Want to know what I'd chat about?

If we were on a coffee date, I'd probably tell you how cold it's been here in Dakar lately. In fact, on Saturday when I woke up and checked the temp, it was 61F! 61! Can you believe it? I have never experienced temps that low in all my time in Senegal. But I'm not complaining. It's definitely nice not to be sweating for a change :)

If we were on a coffee date, I'd tell you about how I spent the majority of my day on Saturday making a whole bunch of heart-shaped crayons. And while I definitely didn't enjoy the smell of the wax that fell on the sheet tray and burned, the crayons turned out great. And I really did have fun making them.  I can't wait to share them with the Kids Club kids on Wednesday.


If we were on a coffee date, I'd also share with you about a meeting I had on Friday which left me with happy tears in my eyes, feeling super encouraged about the future of my class. It's the first time in about a month and a half that I've felt that way. What an amazing feeling!

f we were on a coffee date, I'd probably tell you about the easel I paid only $10 for, that my students fell in love with. Seriously, saying they were happy (one of my guys in particular), is an understatement. He loved it! And if they're happy, I'm happy. :)

No automatic alt text available.

If we were on a coffee date, I'd probably share some homemade King Cake with you. I made it as the dessert part of the meal I made for my Bible Study group tonight. I also made a big pot of red beans and rice. And I'll make a salad and some garlic bread tonight. Yum!

If we were on a coffee date, I'd tell you that I'm doing well on drinking primarily just water. It's kind of funny. I simply woke up on Tuesday and said, I'm not going to drink any cokes today. And I didn't. Then I didn't the next day or the next or the next. Y'all this is HUGE for me. I've passed the "caffeine withdrawal" headache point. And honestly... I don't want coke. I only want water, or maybe juice. In the spirit of honesty, I will say that I've decided that I will allow myself a soft drink with my meal if I go to a restaurant (which is rare). And I may not even always do that... 

If we were on a coffee date, I'd tell you that I'm trying to do better about seeing the wishes versus the weeds in life, as in the picture below. It can be hard when bad things happen or when you're frustrated and not sure what to think or do. But God knows. And God is indeed working, even in the midst of the hard times. Now I just have to make my mind and heart connect on that idea and do better at following/believing it more consistently :)

Image may contain: text, nature and outdoor

No comments:

Post a Comment