Saturday, May 31, 2014

You Asked. I Answered.

Back in February, I wrote about my big news - that I would be leaving Dakar Academy, heading back to the States for a time of fundraising to prepare for heading back to Senegal for a change in ministry. Since then, I've been asked quite a few questions about what's happening. So I thought I'd answer as many as possible here. *If I missed anything, let me know...


What will you be doing when you get back to Senegal?

I'm a part of a fabulous team that will be working to reach the Wolof, the largest unreached people group in Senegal. As of now, the plan is for me to be the English teacher at our centre. I'll also be learning Wolof, getting to know and love on the people living in the community around me, and helping out with anything else I can to support my teammates.

When will you get back to Senegal?

This is the question I'm asked most often. I can't give a definite answer at this moment, but I can say that I am shooting for a year. My missions budget is increasing by more than 3 times what it is now, so that combined with a significant drop in continued support this year, will leave me having to hit the fundraising trail pretty heavily, in order to get new support. PRAISE JESUS that He knows what I need and when I need it!

Why are you going to be working another job while raising support? 

Typically, this does not happen. But I was given special permission to get a teaching job while in the States for 2 reasons. 1) I will not receive a salary from AGWM while raising support since I am considered a Missionary Associate. 2) I need to keep my Alabama Teaching Certificate current and this is the easiest way to do so.

And there are 2 added bonuses for working as a teacher while in the States. 1) I can pay off (...or at least make a huge "dent in") my student loans. 2) I can finally do what I've been feeling I should be doing for a while now... I can help my parents rather than vice versa for a change. 

If you won't receive a salary from AGWM while raising support, what will happen to the money people send in each month?

It will continue going to my AGWM account and will accumulate there, which will help me raise my cash budget much quicker. ...which will be a huge help!

What is going to be the hardest part of leaving Dakar Academy?

...definitely, saying goodbyes. I hate goodbyes. Oh boy, do I! So having to say goodbye to my students, my co-workers, my friends... Ugh! 

What are you most looking forward to upon arrival in the USA?

...seeing my family, meeting my newest niece, spending time with friends, visiting churches and supporters, Chik-fil-a :)

How can we pray for you, as you prepare to head back to the States?

1) I still need a teaching job. I've put in lots of applications, and had a few interviews too, but still haven't heard anything official. I'm praying for the RIGHT job to hire me.

2) Pray for open doors and hearts for me to share my passion for the Wolof people of Senegal. Knowing that my budget is increasing so incredibly much is a little scary. But I know God knows what I need so I have to turn it over to him.

3) Pray for continued health, peace, and comfort for my dad. He needs it badly!

2 comments:

  1. love this! I've been wondering about your plans!! We might get back to Senegal at the same time... summer 2015 for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so happy to read your news the other day! It looks like 2015 is the year for a lot of people!

    ReplyDelete