Monday, March 18, 2019

A Short Q & A

Happy Monday Y'all 
Since telling a few people on this side of the ocean and back home, as well, about my upcoming (very quick) trip to the US over Spring Break, I've received quite a few questions. So I thought I'd answer them all here.

Image result for sweet home alabama sign

How can you afford a flight to the US? 
Didn't you just buy a ticket at Christmas time?

Someone is generously paying my flight. I knew I'd like to have gone. But I didn't seek this out. The only people that knew of this desire I had to go were God and my mom. And my mom was not the one that paid for it, by the way :)

Why are you going?

Multiple reasons...

1) Someone is paying for it. So I can afford to go.
2) My school is on Spring Break the first 2 weeks of April.
3) I can help my mom with some things around the house.
4) I will be able to speak at a couple schools and churches while there.
5) I can hand-deliver my papers to renew my AL Teaching Certificate (no small feat when you live out of the country and the AL State Dept. blocks you from accessing their website because of you being out of the country)
6) I can bring back fun goodies/supplies for my school's Elementary Camp.
7) Nieces, Chik-fil-a, and Diet Dr Pepper

Ok - That last one was meant to be funny.
Funny and true ;)

When will you be in the US?

If all flights go according to plan, I will arrive in the States around lunch time on April 1st and then I'll fly out around breakfast time on April 13th.

Can you visit me while you're here?

That depends.

Due to having such a short time frame in the States, my time will be limited. During that time, I'll need to cram in a trip to the AL State Dept to hand-deliver my certificate renewal paperwork, speaking engagements at 1 school and 1 church, along with enjoying some family time, too.

Will you still come back to the US in the Summer?

 Because this upcoming trip is considered a "vacation," I want to spend as much time as possible with my family. I'll be back in the summer for my usual longer time frame, where I will be traveling each week speaking at churches, connecting with supporters, and raising my missions support budget.

Why do you go to the US so often? 
Our family only goes once every few years...

This one has come from well meaning missionaries. And I typically just smile and bite my tongue. But here's the answer I'd like to give to this question.

My ministry is teaching, I'm allowed, by my mission organization, to go home during long school holidays (every summer and most Christmases if I can afford it). Going this time was an unexpected/unplanned blessing of a trip. And you know... God made it happen for me to be able to take it, so I am.

Because honestly... I don't have family here in Senegal. 

I am a single woman, living by myself, with my family living a few thousand miles and an ocean away from me. So any chance I have to see my family, I'm going to take it. Being single on the field is hard, y'all. It really is. I know we all live far away from family. And I don't want to diminish anyone's feelings of homesickness and missing family members. But I do want to say... Know that it is very hard for a single person who has literally no family members around to hear someone who lives with a husband and maybe children, as well, criticize them for their decision to go (yet again) to visit family in their home country. That's really hard. Just sayin'

How can you be gone from teaching (your ministry) for that long?

My school actually has a 2-week long Spring Break.

Yep, that's right. 

2 weeks :)

So because my ministry is teaching at my school, then that means my ministry basically pauses, so to speak, for those two weeks. So to be honest, the timing of this trip is actually ideal. It really is.

Why do you feel you have to justify yourself?

I know that technically, I shouldn't feel this way. 

But I do.

I feel the need to be accountable to the churches and individuals who have sacrificially given to support me and my ministry here in Senegal.

I feel I need to explain so people don't think I'm wasting the money they intended for ministry expenses (and again - those are in a whole separate account - untouched until a major ministry expense comes along). 

I feel I need to assure people that I'm using my own personal money on "vacations" like this... Although, again, someone paid for my plane tickets. But still...

So yeah - I know that I don't technically have to explain myself. 

But I still do it.

And now for some "fun" questions...

What's the first restaurant you want to visit when you land?

Uh, Chik-fil-a, of course :)


Where's your first stop after the airport?

Well, after Chik-fil-a :)... 
 
We'll go to my brother's house so I can see the rest of my family.

Do you need any supplies for your class to take back with you?

Well, I can always get more things. And I'll be buying a few things and raiding my storage bins at my mom's house as well. All in hopes of gathering a few needed (wanted) supplies to bring back. I'll also be gathering supplies for our elementary school's upcoming Elementary Camp, which happens 2 weeks after I return to Dakar. So all that to say...

First of all, thank you for asking. That is super sweet of you and means so very much. And yes... If you would like to help purchase supplies, send me an email at enichols85@gmail.com and I'll share my list with you.

How can we be praying for you (your trip)?

Help me pray for safe, uneventful flights (no delays, etc.).

 Help me pray for good, solid time with family. 

Help me pray for guidance and clarity, and no nervousness, in speaking to the school and church I have set to speak at. 

 Help me pray for NO jet lag. 

Help me pray for favor with the State Dept. of Education.

Help me pray for strength to get done all that needs to be done. 

Help me pray to say "yes" or "no" to whatever I need to, knowing that I have a short amount of time in the US and definitely cannot fit in every single thing that comes my way. And I need to be okay with saying "no" to some things :)

Help me pray for refreshment/relaxation.

Help me pray for hearts/eyes/ears to be open to hearing about this incredible ministry God has called me to be a part of here in Senegal. 

2 comments:

  1. No guilt, no regrets! Go have a great time. People often don’t realize how very much their folks on the field need a break, a refilling and a little TLC, especially singles. I wish people saw this as an investment into their missionaries to help them do well in their ministry and remain on the field. Make sure you take vacation time for yourself during these weeks!

    ReplyDelete