Saturday, February 2, 2013

15 Days of Senegal -- Days 1 and 2

Two fellow Dakarois, (Kari and Jenn) issued a challenge for the rest of us. It was a photo challenge, in which we would take at least one picture of life in Senegal every day for 15 days in February. Each day we would be given a prompt to follow in taking our pictures. (To see the lists, click on either Kari's or Jenn's names.)

Day 1's prompt was "Traffic." How fitting for Dakar, the capital city, which is where I live. Dakar usually has crazy traffic, where most drivers typically do not follow normal rules of the road (if there are any rules to begin with, that is...). And honestly, that's one of the main reasons why I choose to not drive in this city. I love Dakar. I love living here. But it's pretty cheap and safe to get a ride in a taxi. So I'm good. :)

Back to the photos... I took this first photo on the way to a friend's house Friday night. The lack of traffic surprised me. And look, people seem to be driving in an orderly fashion too. It seems like they're disproving my above paragraph. Hmm... 


I took this second photo on the way home from my friend's house later that night. Due to my lack of knowledge in working some of the super basic, but I'm technologically challenged hard settings on my camera, you can't see the traffic very well, but trust me... It was there. This is entering my neighborhood of Hann Maristes. I really like how the lights of the car facing us look in this picture. 



Day 2's prompt was "Red." Senegal is full of colors. It's fun to see such bright bursts of colors in such a dry, sandy place. Since I didn't venture out of my apartment today, and instead chose to be super productive at home (go me!), I just went back through pictures I've taken over the past 3 1/2 years, and found lots with the color red in them.

These first two of are Christmas stockings made by Samba. Samba is... Well... Let's just say, he's an interesting guy who is very, very talented in the area of sewing and who definitely needs Jesus. Side note... If you're reading this now, pray for his soul. He seriously does need Jesus. 


I took this next one on the road going to my apartment. I love these "flame" trees. I'm not sure what their name is in French. Anywho - These are my favorite trees here in Senegal. When they're in bloom, they're absolutely beautiful. 


I took this next photo at a hotel in Saly, which is an approximate 2 hour drive from Dakar. It's so nice to go, especially in the dry season, because you know you'll see all the green (and red). It's proof that Senegal is not just sand.



These next two photos are of red seen in the area of food and drinks. There's nothing like an ice cold coke from a glass bottle. Pair it with ice and a slice of lime and it's perfection in a glass (minus the sugar and caffeine, of course). 

The second photo is of a Royal Burger, which comes with all the usual stuff, plus a fried egg. I love it! I love the way the color of the huge, red, chunk of tomato "pops" in this picture.

4 comments:

  1. I think we have a place in Niamey that has a royal burger...could it be a chain restaurant? :) Not likely! Fun to see that you are participating in Jenn's 15 Days of Senegal Challenge. I teach at Sahel Academy in Niger so share your passion for teaching children in an international context. May God bless you and encourage you in your ministry at DA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never know. Haha :)

    The Photo Challenge has been fun. It's been nice to re-look at a lot my pictures and remember those initial feelings when taking them, or notice new things about them. It's making me appreciate my life here in Dakar even more.

    What do you teach?

    Blessings!
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I teach 2nd Grade at Sahel Academy although I am on home assignment for the year. I was going to tell you in my first comment but forgot that I actually know Jenn from language school. The world is ever so small! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! Yeah, I never realized just how small 'til moving overseas :) I'll be praying you have a good home assignment!

    ReplyDelete