Saturday, October 26, 2013

Songs and Memories

"Songs will bring you back to a moment in time more than anything else. It's amazing how much can be conjured with a few notes of a song. A song you didn't even pay attention to at the time..." -Emily Giffin

*Source*


The other day I read a blog post that listed a few songs that when heard immediately caused certain memories to flood in. So it got me thinking and planning this blog post. Then one of my co-workers led our staff devotions the other day and spoke on this same exact topic. I guess it was a sign, huh? :)

So what songs instantly bring back memories for me?

1. Jesus Loves Me


As a young child I was often plagued by bad dreams. I hated going to sleep unless my mom would stay by my bed, holding my hand, 'til I fell asleep. One day, I very distinctly remember my mom telling me that Jesus would help me sleep if I'd just ask him. So I did. My mom then sang Jesus Loves Me and I felt so much better, that I was able to go to sleep without her being in my room. From then on, any time I'd be scared before going to sleep, I'd sing this song. To this day, I think of my mom singing it to me and of me remembering how cool it was that Jesus cared so much for me that he'd help me sleep better.

2. We Are the Reason by Avalon


This is the first solo I sang in church. I was in 5th grade and had been taking piano and voice lessons for a while. I remember being scared out of my mind. When that song started, but I also remember being so happy for and proud of myself for singing it. Even now, when this song comes on, I am immediately taken back to the stage of that church in Alabama and can see me as that nervous 5th grader getting ready to sing in front of all of those people.

3. Graduation (Friends Forever) by Vitamin C


Oh my goodness... It's hard to believe it's been 10 years since my high school graduation!

The other day, I had my itunes playing on shuffle while I worked and this song came on. I was immediately transported back to Florala High School's gym and felt like I was again sitting there in that green cap & gown, nervous about what the future held, wondering if I'd ever see my friends again, and thanking God I'd made it that far :)

4. How Beautiful by Twila Paris


I remember, just like it was yesterday, sitting in District Council service during the Missions Service and hearing this song for the first time. I remember sitting there thinking, one day that's going to be me walking in with the flag of the country God's called me to. To this day, when I hear this song, I am reminded of that service. I am reminded of all of the workers that have blazed this trail before me. I am reminded of how God's helped me over the past (almost) 9 years since calling me into missions. I am reminded of how important The Great Commission really is.

5. People Get Ready by Melinda



Any time I hear this song, I feel like I'm back in the Canary Islands on my first missions trip. I'm sitting there, watching a group of kids on our team do a human video to this song. I remember sitting there as they did the human video, being in awe of the awesomeness of being on this trip. I remember thinking it was so cool that God brought me there and paved the way for the future "road" (career) I knew he was leading me down, even if I didn't know what that road would look like...

6. Viva la Vida by Coldplay


This song was playing on my ipod at one of the most incredibly bittersweet moments in my life. It was July 29, 2009 and I was at the airport in Atlanta, Georgia. I had just said goodbye to my parents and brother and was walking towards security. I knew I had a long walk, so I put my headphones on and turned my ipod up real loud, thinking it'd somehow drown out the tears that were starting to flow. I was so excited to be heading to Dakar, Senegal, and start this new life God had called me to. But at the same time, I was sad. I was saying goodbye to my family, my country, and all that was familiar to me.

The first song that came on was this song. I know I'd heard it before, but I guess I hadn't really paid attention to the lyrics. When the part that says, "My missionaries in a foreign field..." were sang, it hit me. I'm a missionary. That was the moment that it all finally felt real. I am a missionary.

So, I realize this isn't a Christian song. But any time I hear it played, I immediately am reminded of that bittersweet moment in life when I was feeling so sad at saying goodbye to my family, yet feeling so incredibly excited about starting the new chapter in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment