Wednesday, October 30, 2013

My One Thousand Gifts - #'s 4 - 16


I'm reading Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts. According to her website, simply put, this book is a celebration of grace and a recognition of the power of gratitude. It's all about being so thankful for the little things, that you become a person full of joy. As part of the accompanying devotional, Voskamp encourages readers to make their own list of one thousand gifts, which I've started. It's been fun becoming more aware of what's going on around me, of what gifts the Lord has put in my path.

For my Thankful Thursday posts each week, I'm highlighting new items I've added to my list. These aren't always big things. Sometimes, it's the littlest things that stick out the most. 

This week, I've added 13 new things...

#4 - a busy schedule

I know this might sound strange to some people. But I'm thankful for a busy week. Why? It keeps my mind focused on what I'm doing. Quiet times of nothingness are fine for a little while, but not for very long. Keeping busy keeps my mind focused and keeps me from getting homesick too. So believe it or not, a busy schedule is a gift.

#5 - how technology allows me to stay in contact with family, friends, and supporters that live so far away...

I'm thankful for things like Skype, Facebook, e-mail, and cell phones. I can't imagine living during the time when your only method of communication was "snail mail" letters that took a month or longer to arrive. These days you can easily contact someone living far far away with the simple click of a mouse or with a quick text or phone call. I know technology often gets a bad reputation since it's not always 100% reliable. But in this instance, I am most definitely thankful for the gift of technology - helping to make that few thousand miles & an ocean distance not seem quite so far.


#6 - my blog 

While I'm on the subject of technology... I'm thankful for my blog. This blog has been such an awesome gift. It's a way for me to update family, friends, and supporters on my life and ministry here in Dakar. It's also an outlet for me to get whatever I need to off my chest. It's a nice way to express my inner writer. It's just fun!


#7 - encouraging notes from people

Anyone that knows me well knows how much it means to me to receive a note from someone - whether it's a handwritten note, an e-mail, a Facebook message, whatever. Just knowing that someone put the thought into writing a sweet, encouraging note means so much to me.


#8 - iTunes

I'm so thankful for the ability to get music, t.v. shows, movies, books, and podcasts (...mainly just the sermons I listen to through them) at such a low cost.


#9 - pictures of family

It's so hard being away from my family so much. But it's so nice to have so many pictures of them. I have pictures on my fridge, in frames around my house and on my desk at school, on my ipod and computer, and in my Bible. It's like I've always got a piece of them with me even when I have to go so long without seeing them in person.


#10 - fans

I don't have air conditioning at home or in my classroom. So I am so thankful for the fans in both of these places. ...especially right now during hot season. They definitely provide a little relief in the times of ridiculously high temperatures/humidity!


#11 - the adults and students that help run Kids Club at DA

I have a group of 4 adults and about 10-12 middle/high school students that help with Kids Club at school. It's because of these ladies and gentlemen that we're able to run this program. I prayed and prayed that God would send more people to help this year and He did. The adults are fabulous. The kids love them! The middle/high school students are equally fabulous. The elementary kids think it's so cool that these "big kids" enjoy spending time with them. I agree with them. It is so cool. And it really warms my heart to see these older kids taking the time to pour into the lives of the younger kids. I love it!


12. breezes coming in my classroom windows

I’m thankful that it’s cooled off enough that I can feel nice breezes coming in my classroom windows. It’s been a bit harder this year since my new classroom does not have an air conditioner. So feeling the fresh (and cooler) air coming in from outside lately has been really nice.

13. the sound of children playing outside my classroom 

I usually spend one day, or at least part of the day, of the weekend working in my classroom. And now that it’s cooled off some, I’m leaving my windows open and using the nice fresh air to cool things off. Anyways – It’s nice hearing the students (of all ages) outside, playing and laughing, and having a good time. It always makes me smile.

14. the little geckos in my apartment

I know. I know. How could anyone be thankful for these? It's easy. They eat mosquitos. And for someone who seems to so easily attract mosquitos, these geckos are a lifesaver. So I am definitely thankful for them! :)

15. a gas stove

I live in a place where electricity cuts are all too common. Therefore, having a gas stove is a luxury. I’m so thankful that even if the power goes out, I can still cook food.

16. flowers

I have always loved flowers. I love getting them as gifts. I love buying them myself. I love using them to decorate with. They just have a way of brightening up a room, or a day in general. Living in such a dry, dusty place is a little blah at times. There's so much dirt and sand and so little green. But every once in a while (especially at this time of year) you see the most beautiful flowers. On my walk to school this morning, the brightness of the flowers seemed to "pop." And right then, I thanked God for this beautiful piece of His creation. 

And in case you want a recap, here is the post where I wrote about #'s 1 - 3

No comments:

Post a Comment