Thursday, October 10, 2013

The 80th Dear _____ Post

Dear Daddy, You had open heart surgery (a quadruple bypass) on Wednesday. My own heart was so full of fear over your surgery and my brain kept asking "what if" over and over again. It was so hard to be here when all I wanted was to be near you, to see you, to just be there. But you know what... You made it through. God definitely performed a miracle because, not only did you make it through, but you were awake and talking long before they said you would be. You surpassed the doctor's expectations for sure! But that's the kind of fighter you are. Nothing's gonna hold you down :)

Dear 1st Quarter of the School Year, We'll finish you tomorrow (actually today since it's after midnight here). You started out rough. It was hard getting into the swing of things with a new job, teaching such a huge range of grades, and just finding my way in my new role. But I've grown to love you. While I do occasionally miss teaching 1st grade, I love teaching ESL. And at this point, I can't see myself teaching anything else :)

Dear Crayons from America, You're what excited my elementary kids today. It really is the little things that mean the most sometimes...

Dear Weekend Away with Friends, You're what I'll be having starting tomorrow after school. The top things on my list... Catch up on sleep, read (for fun!), hang out with friends, watch the most beautiful sunsets ever over the ocean, and eat good food :)

Dear Doctorate, I told myself I wouldn't get you. Yet, you keep invading my thoughts. I've now had two former professors (strongly) encourage me to get you. And now, in my free time, I find myself searching for schools that offer you in my preferred field. I know it's crazy... I'm crazy, I suppose. I don't know...

Dear Job Offer, I got my second of you to teach in the States. I've been emailing back and forth with an ESL Coordinator for a school system in Tennessee who's been helping me with forms and such, trying to update our ESL program, and today she asked me, again, if I'd be interested in a position next year. This is the second time she's asked me. I, again, thanked her, but told her I was happy where I'm at. I have no plans to leave DA anytime soon, but it is nice to be wanted :)

Dear Berean (A/G licensing) Courses, I only have two more of you and then I'll be finished with the first level of you. I've put you off long enough, though. I'll be writing the guy in charge next week to register for you. It's so cool to think I'm so close to being finished with them... What a fun, dream to come true, this is!

Dear Writing a Paper, I had the best idea ever for you. So anyone in the field of ESL or Special Education, hit me up. I can help you out... :) Or if I ever do decide I've finally gone totally nuts and actually pursue my doctorate, then maybe this topic can be the topic of my dissertation :)

Dear 2 1/2 Months, You're how long is left until Christmas. This'll be my first time not going back to the States in December. I'm sure it'll be a little hard on Christmas Day, but I'm actually looking forward to spending my time here and with a few hundred (or so...I really don't know how many there are.) fellow co-workers on our retreat :)

Dear Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, After seeing a picture of you during the craft time in Kids Club the other day, one sweet boy asked me what you were. After recovering from shock, I explained in great detail about your delicious goodness. He told me he'd never had you before. This poor child... How could I not share with him after hearing that sad, sad news?! So I told his dad about the conversation and got permission to bring him one to school tomorrow (today?) and he, of course, agreed. So now Operation Intoduce the Sweet Australian Boy to Reese's is going down in approximately 7 hours :)

Dear 1 A.M., You're what time it is right now. I'm not really sure why I'm still awake. I'm so not a night person. Clearly that can of Pepsi I drank this afternoon did me in... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment