Sunday, January 12, 2014

My New Year's Resolutions for 2014

1. Read and journal through the entire Bible. I've read through the Bible many times and each time I have learned something new. But I've never journaled through the Bible. This is the year to change that. I found a plan that allows you to start at any point in the year (not just January 1st). I'm going to be loosely following that plan, but mainly seeing where the Lord takes me from there.

Want to join along? I'm starting on January 15th. You can find the plan here

2. Do a journal of thanks all year. My grandmother gave me a beautiful journal that was just what I'd been looking for to do this project with. On the cover it says to be thankful for what you have and to trust God for what you need. This year I'm going to look for the little things God sends my way every day that I'm thankful for. So every night, I'll be listing at least 5 seemingly "little" things from that day that I'm thankful for.

The Bible contains many, many verses that teaches us to be thankful. You can find just a few of them here.

3. Take a photo a day every single day of the year. Then compile them into a 365 photo book at the end of the year.

I follow a list of photo prompts found here. I may use my own from time to time, but it's nice having a list to go by. 

4. Get serious about getting in better shape. I've lost inches, causing my clothes to fit better and causing me to go down a size, but I've only lost a few pounds, which is discouraging. So I've decided to get more serious about my physical shape altogether. I'm going to be planning my meals each week, making healthier food choices, and exercising more.

I'm using an app on my ipod to help me keep track of my eating/exercise plan. You can find a description of it here.

5. Get more organized. As much as I hate to admit it, I like to keep things. I always think that something will be useful later on, so I shouldn't throw it out, even if I haven't touched it in forever a while. So this is the year to change that. Each week I'm going to tackle one area of my home, classroom, or life in general, and get it organized. I'll give myself a full week (or longer, if needed) to finish it and then write about it on here. *After all, I know you're all just "dying" to read about it. Ha! :)

There are lots of plans online for getting organized. I wrote my own. But if you need one to follow, this a good one.

6. Read more books for fun. I read a lot for my job. I read textbooks, journals, online articles, children's books, etc. But I've found that I don't read as much for fun anymore. Unless I'm on vacation, I just don't do it. So this year, I'm making one of my goals to change that fact. This year I'm going to read more for fun.

Here is a link to a list of 1000 books that people should read before they die. I wonder how many I could read this year. 

7. Blog more. I do weekly a few different weekly "series" on my blog. I do my 1. Dear ____ 2. Currently in the Life of Me and 3. Thankful Thursday. I'll keep doing those posts, but I want to try and write different types as well. I have a few started already and a few other ones still in the brainstorming process in my mind. So stay tuned :)

Do you blog? Are you wanting to? There are many different sites, but I personally love Blogspot.


So now... How am I going to hold myself accountable? Easy.

1. One of the New Year's Resolutions on this list was to blog more. I'm going to blog my progress on my Resolutions each Sunday (starting next Sunday). By doing that, it will force me to be more accountable. I'll know that people (...even if it's just my family) will be reading my posts each week and will see if I'm doing well or bombing miserably :)

2. Follow 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. Apply it to my life. Allow the truth in it help me to reach the goals I've prayed about and feel God leading me to work toward, using His guidance to achieve them. Everything I do should be for His glory. And I feel that I can use the above 7 goals for that purpose. ...that is, if I allow Him to guide my steps all the way.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment