Sunday, May 17, 2015

Monday Musings

What am I musing about on this fine Monday? ...quite a bit actually.

Things like...

1. The countdown to my trip to Senegal is officially in the single digits. I fly out in 9 days. Can you believe it?! Where did the time go? It seems like just yesterday I landed back in the States.


I've so enjoyed my time back. I really, really love my job. And God knows I am eternally grateful for the time I've had with my family. ...especially the time I had with my dad before he passed away. But I'm feeling that sense of restlessness. It's hard sometimes. This is home. Yet, at times, it feels foreign to me. I miss the closeness and the sense of community over there. I miss being in full time ministry. I miss the sights, the sounds, the smells. I miss the food and the fellowship. I miss hearing/speaking French (even if I wasn't always that great at it). I miss the people. Oh boy, do I miss the people. I recently read an article that summed up why it's so difficult to come home after having lived overseas. It explained so much of what I've felt since coming home.

2. Body image/Self-esteem have always been a touchy subject for me. I've lied to myself so many times, saying I don't care what people think about me. But you know what? I do. I really do. And I let the negative views people hold about me eat at me and eat at me until I feel about an inch high. Let's be honest... I've never been a skinny woman. I know that. And yes, I could lose weight. But you know what... I'm actually (gasp!) happy with myself. But just when I think I've accepted that, someone comes along and says something hurtful. I've had friends, co-workers, family members, church members, even guys I've dated, say little remarks aiming at my size. Like seriously... What's the point in that? Does it make you feel better to joke about me being fat?!


Anywho, I lead in with that to say... A friend sent me the picture below, along with a link to an article that went along with all of that, reminding me that while I cannot change what people think/say about me, I do have a choice about what I do/think/say.


And now to shift from a couple heavy topics (no pun intended)...

3. Yesterday was the (combined) birthday party for my two nieces.


These two little girls laughed and played and ate and had the time of their lives. My world forever changed when I became Zizzie to these girls. What a blessing they've been in my life!

And now for a few more party pictures because what better way to end this serious post than with some seriously cute pictures :)

No comments:

Post a Comment