Saturday, November 16, 2013

Sunday's Stories

"There's a story behind everything. How a picture got on a wall. How a scar got on your face. Sometimes the stories are simple, and sometimes they are hard and heartbreaking..." 
Mitch Albom, For One More Day

Reading is a big part of my life. I love to read. I read books for work, for school, and for fun. And I love a good book/story. I love to be drawn into it and feel connected with the story.

I'm starting a new series on my blog. Every Sunday I'll write a Sunday's Stories post. These Sunday posts will include a variety of story related topics. It might be reviews of recent books or magazine or news articles I've read. Or it might be a new (or maybe an old) story about me, my family, my work, etc.


So without further ado, here's the first set of Sunday's Stories...

(1) Jase & Missy Robertson were interviewed by K-Love Radio earlier this year. In their interview, they both talked about the importance of God, faith, and family. They also talked about putting God first in all areas of their lives, especially in their relationship - while dating and now as a married couple. I saw the link for their interview here. I'm always impressed when such a public figure takes a stand for what is good and right in the eyes of God.

(2) Speaking of the Robertsons, Duck Dynasty fans' favorite uncle is in the news. Si is the voice of a narrating okra in Merry Larry and the True Light of Christmas, which was released last month. According to the story, the main theme taught through this movie is that "Christmas shines most bright and true when you give the love God gave to you!"

(3) Erin, at Blue Eyed Bride, wrote a post about her love for Christmas music, but what struck me the most in her story was the highlighting of 4 words from O Holy Night that I don't think I've ever paid much attention too. In the song, we hear the words, "...a thrill of hope..." Did you notice that? We don't just have hope. No we have a thrill of hope. ...a thrill. In case you missed it, I repeated that part for emphasis. :) I'm so incredibly thankful for the thrill of hope they had back then for the Savior's birth and I have now for His return!

(4) One of the harder blog posts I've ever written was on a time when I was afraid. It was back in the Spring of 2011. My dad had 2 heart attacks, stent put in, and developed a severe case of peritonitis. I ended up leaving school a month early so I could fly back to the States to be with and help out my family. He bounced back from those health scares, but has, unfortunately, had quite a few more since then. But he seems to bounce back from each one. God has such a big plan for my dad's life. I know it. And I'm just so grateful that I get to be a part of it! :)

(5) And now for a random picture and story... My friend and I had some computer work to do yesterday, so we decided to work in the same room, so we could keep each other focused and motivated (which we did - go us!). Anyways... After being in her classroom for a while, I look over on the shelf and notice this guy hanging out.


I realized who this stuffed awesomeness was and said, "I love your stuffed Jesus." She then told me about a former student (from a non-Christian family) who loved holding, hugging, and walking around with Jesus all day. While I laughed at the cuteness of the story, it made me think. Of course Jesus is with me all day, but do I hold/hug him close to my heart all day? Or do I push Him to the side and only hold Him close when something goes wrong? Do I only call on Him when I need something? Or do I spend my day talking with Him? Isn't it amazing that a stuffed child's toy could make you think that much...

No comments:

Post a Comment