Wednesday, November 6, 2013

My One Thousand Gifts #'s 17 - 24


I'm reading Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts. According to her website, simply put, this book is a celebration of grace and a recognition of the power of gratitude. It's all about being so thankful for the little things, that you become a person full of joy. As part of the accompanying devotional, Voskamp encourages readers to make their own list of one thousand gifts, which I've started. It's been fun becoming more aware of what's going on around me, of what gifts the Lord has put in my path.

For my Thankful Thursday posts each week, I'm highlighting new items I've added to my list. These aren't always big things. Sometimes, it's the littlest things that stick out the most. 

This week, I've added 8 new things...

#17 - leftovers

I love to cook. And I can't seem to make enough for just one meal (or even two for that matter). So I almost always have a fridge or freezer full of leftovers. I am so thankful for these leftovers on the days that I get home late from work and just don't want to stand in the kitchen and cook.

#18 - nail polish

I just love the way a bright shade of nail polish can almost instantly lift my moods. I'm thankful for Wal-Mart and Target that both have a lot of really cute colors for about $1 a bottle. And I'm thankful for little pops of color to brighten my day :)

#19 - books

I have always loved to read. From as early as I can remember, I've loved having a book in my hand and letting it transport me to some magical place. And while my taste in books has definitely changed over the years, I still love to read. So I'm thankful for books - whether they be books I'm reading for my job or books I'm reading just "for fun" - it doesn't matter. I'm thankful for them all :)

#20 - flip flops
Anyone that knows me well knows I have way too many a normal amount of flip flops. I have them in almost every color. I have them in many different designs. I have dressy ones, casual ones, and beach ones. I have jeweled ones and polka dot ones. I have a few with cities' names on them and one that celebrates my favorite college team. Go Bama! I have so many... I refuse to pay a lot of money for flip flops. I just think that's crazy. I wear them almost year around. We have an unfortunate lack of winter weather in Dakar. So they're going to wear out faster. I love to hit up the 99cent or $1.99 flip flop sale at Old Navy and visit the $2 aisle at Wal-Mart. I look for them everywhere. I will gladly take up precious place in my luggage each time so I can bring back flip flops. So while I know some people are shaking their heads while reading this, thinking this is the most ridiculous thing ever... I'm over here being thankful for my flip flops :)

#21 - fresh fruits & veggies

I love almost all fruits and vegetables. I do. It's too bad I like steak (and chicken and pork and fish, etc.) so much. If not, I could totally be a vegetarian :) Anyways - Here in Dakar, we may not be able to get the wide variety of fruits & veggies that we can in the US of A, but we do get quite a bit. It's so nice to know that I can walk down almost any street in my neighborhood and end up at a fruit/veggie stand or see a guy pushing a cart with fresh fruit. I love it! I'm so thankful for the access to fresh produce that we have here in Dakar.

#22 - bleach

Here in Dakar, we are taught immediately upon arrival how you MUST soak almost all of your fruits and veggies (unless you're going to peel or cook them) in bleach water. Why? ...because you don't want to ingest all the little critters roaming around (some of which you can't even see without a microscope) on all that lovely produce I mentioned in #21. YUCK! I know. It's gross to think about. But you know what... I'm so thankful for bleach. I hate the smell. I'll never ever get used to it. But at the same time, I'm thankful for it. I'm thankful that it kills all those little critters. Speaking from experience, the alternative is soooo not worth it. Just soak your veggies people :)

#23 - battery operated fan

Oh my word... The person that invented the stand fan version of this awesomeness deserves an award. When the power goes out, this bad boy keeps on running. For that, I am so so so (and a few more so's) thankful!

#24 - souvenirs from trips

I always always always get some sort of souvenir from any trip I go on. I am so thankful for these little momentos from fun times in my life. I'm thankful for the memories they evoke. I'm thankful for the smiles they provide. I'm thankful for the reminders of fun times :)

And in case you want a recap, here is the post where I wrote about #'s 1 - 3 and here's #'s 4-16.

No comments:

Post a Comment