Thursday, November 14, 2013

My One Thousand Gifts #'s 25 - 28



I'm reading Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts. According to her website, simply put, this book is a celebration of grace and a recognition of the power of gratitude. It's all about being so thankful for the little things, that you become a person full of joy. As part of the accompanying devotional, Voskamp encourages readers to make their own list of one thousand gifts, which I've started. It's been fun becoming more aware of what's going on around me, of what gifts the Lord has put in my path.

For my Thankful Thursday posts each week, I'm highlighting new items I've added to my list. These aren't always big things. Sometimes, it's the littlest things that stick out the most. 

This week, I've added 4 new things...

#25 - air conditioning

Since moving to Dakar 4 1/2 years ago, I've never had A/C at home. And as of this year, I no longer have it in my classroom either. Needless to say, I definitely miss it and have become aware of just how thankful of this fabulousness I am. If it wasn't so expensive to install, I'd totally have it at home. But alas, it's quite a bit out of my price range. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. Well my heart is definitely fond of this coolness!

#26 - sleeping late

It's rare that my internal alarm clock allows me to experience #26. But when it does, I am definitely thankful. There's just something so gratifying about knowing you've been able to sleep late :)

#27 - construction paper

I know this seems like a weird thing to be thankful for, but as a teacher this is a product I use a LOT of. Most crafts call for at least one color of it. It makes great posters and book covers, and can be cut into little mosaic pieces. It makes beautiful cards and stationery for kids to write letters to friends and family. It's a quick substitution to use in place of wrapping paper. It has so many uses! So yes, indeed I am thankful for this colored wonderfulness. Now if I could just find a place in Dakar that carries it...

#28 - Skype

This fabulous invention allows me the chance to talk to, and see (via video),  family and friends from around the world. I'm thankful for its free video chats and it's incredibly inexpensive, 2 cents a minute, phone calls. I'm thankful that it allows me to feel just a bit closer to my loved ones.

And in case you want a recap of the items already on my list, you can find them by clicking on the links below...
 1 - 3  

No comments:

Post a Comment