Tuesday, December 17, 2013

My One Thousand Gifts #'s 49 - 55

Each week, I'm highlighting new items I've added to my list of one thousand gifts. These aren't always big things. In fact, sometimes it's the littlest things that stick out the most. 

This week, I've added 7 new things...

#49 - a Christmas tree shaped cake pan  

I'm thankful for this fun invention, which helped me make 2 cute cakes earlier this week for my classes' Christmas parties.

#50 - Chayas 

Guys, these pants are the most comfortable pants I've ever worn. So I am definitely, definitely thankful for them! And I totally bought 3 pairs this week since they're 1) super comfortable 2) cheap 3) the best pants ever :)

#51 - Christmas Break

Tomorrow is my last day before Christmas Break since my students will be finished and I fly out early, early Friday morning. Can I get an AMEN?! :) I am so thankful, in advance, for an awesome Christmas Break spent hanging out with my family and friends, catching up on sleeping, spoiling my niece rotten, eating my mom's cooking, restocking my American stashes, and more. This Christmas Break is even more special due to the fact that I wasn't originally supposed to go home. But thanks to an incredibly generous surprise by some awesome, awesome people, I will indeed get to spend my Christmas Break with my family.

#52 - pilots

I was sitting at home the other night, thinking about how much time I spend on my planes now. For the past 4 1/2 years, I've taken 2 roundtrip, cross-Atlantic flights. I've also taken a few international flights during that time. And this doesn't count all the domestic and international flights I've taken before moving to Dakar. So, I said all that to say... Clearly I've spent a lot of time on airplanes. So another "little" (well, not really - more like HUGE) thing I'm thankful for are pilots. I'm thankful for the training these men and women have received. I'm thankful for their abilities to fly this massive mode of transportation safely to get me to my destination in one piece. I'm thankful for them working on holidays, in bad weather, all throughout the year. I'm thankful for them doing their jobs so awesomely. Thanks Pilots. You rock! :)

#53 - an ipod that takes pictures

I think this one's pretty self-explanatory. I'm just thankful that I can easily take pictures and (if connected to wifi) instantly email them or post them to Facebook. And 9 times out of 10, they're great quality pictures too.

#54 - hand drawn pictures from students

I'm so thankful for these little gifts. I'm thankful for how they can quickly and easily brighten my day.

#55 - meat stick sandwiches

This deliciousness can be bought just down the road from my school. It's the Dakar version of fast food, I suppose. It costs 500cfa, or about $1. So score for being within walking distance, for being super cheap, and for being super tasty. I'm definitely thankful for this tasty meal.

And in case you want a recap of the other things on my list, you can find them below...

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear that you're able to spend Christmas at home with your family!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too! I don't think I've stopped smiling since finding out :)

      Delete