Saturday, October 13, 2012

The 34th Dear ____ Post

Dear Vote, Guess what! I did you this past Saturday. I may not agree with either presidential candidate 100%, but I did (after a lot of praying) finally feel peace about my decision. I truly believe that it's our responsibility and privilege as Americans to vote. So many men and women fought (and died) giving us the right to do so. ...not to mention, it's our country. We do have a say in what's going on. ...but only if we vote. If you don't vote, you have no right to comment/complain. At least that's my opinion :)

Dear Grading Papers, I've never really enjoyed you. You're one part of my job that I honestly dreaded. I loved planning lessons and activities, teaching, doing informal assessments, etc. But to actually have to grade papers...yuck! BUT earlier this week, that all changed. The Lord seriously pricked my heart about this. While it may not be the most fun thing, it is indeed a necessary part of my job. And the Lord really spoke to me and made me realize that I should use the time while I'm grading to pray for my students (...that is, pray for them more than I already do). So now, when I'm grading papers, I'm also praying. When I finish a stack of papers, I stop and pray for my students. I pray that God would minister into their little lives. I pray that God would help me to be the best teacher I can be for them. I pray for their families. I pray for their home countries.  And I pray, most of all, for their souls. Whether they come from Christian, Muslim, or any other religion...it doesn't matter. I pray that their little eyes, ears, minds, and hearts would be open to the TRUTH...to accepting Jesus Christ as their personal Savior.

Dear Photo a Day Challenge, I started you this past weekend. It's been pretty fun and I'm going to do my best to stick with it.

Dear Freezer Pops, You've been my afternoon snack pretty much every afternoon this week. I'm really loving being able to buy you here in Dakar. You're tasty and pretty cheap too. So double points for you :)

Dear Weekend Getaway with Friends, I'd planned on having you this weekend, but due to the extremely lengthy nature of my To Do List, I had to cancel. It was a difficult decision. I could have used some girl time (especially since loneliness has reared its ugly head quite a bit this week). And I could have used some time away with no set agenda, no work to do, no grad school assignments to complete, but I also know that I have bigger responsibilities than having a fun weekend with friends.

Dear To Do List, You're pretty long right now. It seems like every time I mark one thing off, I end up having to add on two more things. Honestly, there are times I feel like I'm struggling to keep my head above the water. But, I'm hoping I can finally get caught up this weekend. ...and maybe still be able to have a little fun too :)

Dear Avengers (the movie), I watched you this past Saturday night. I really didn't think I'd enjoy you that much. After all, you fall into a genre of movies I typically steer clear of. But you know what Avengers, you actually were pretty good.

Dear Read Aloud Time, My students absolutely LOVE you. I usually read one book a day or 2 if they're short. We then spend a few minutes writing and drawing to retell the story(ies) we read. This is helping with their comprehension skills, their writing, and their reading too. I love seeing their eyes light up each day when I show off what book we're reading.

Dear Book/Bible Study, This past Monday some co-workers and I started you. We'll be using our time together each week to dive deeper into the Word and studying the book, Soulprint by Mark Batterson. Each of the ladies in our study come with different backgrounds/experiences. I love that we can all work together, learn together, and really just enjoy each other's company while learning more about our God and His Word.

Dear Bacon from the States, I used up my last bit of you the other day. Major sadness... :(

Dear Hottest Month of the Year, I realize I wrote about you last week. But my feeling about you is still the same. I do not like you...not one bit!

Dear Sleeping with my Windows Open, I tried you out a couple nights just to get a little air flow in and make it not quite so hot, but it seems like the voices of all of the people outside echo big time. Boo people talking outside 'til crazy late at night!

Dear A/C in my Classroom, My apartment is definitely not the coolest place, so I'm very thankful for you. ...especially today when I'm planning to work ALL day on lesson planning, Kids Club prep, and catching up on grad school work.

Dear Potluck Dinner, My fellow apartment building inhabitants and myself are having you tomorrow night. It's always fun when we all get together, eat good food, and spend time talking, laughing, and getting to know each other. Oh and did I mention good food? :) FYI...I'm making meatball sliders and pasta salad. And I may or may not be making enough to save myself some for lunch the next day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment