Friday, September 16, 2016

De-Stressing with REST

Today I'm linking up with Bailey at Braveloveblog, as part of her annual Blogtember Challenge, where bloggers write/post every single day in the month of September.

Each day Bailey gives a prompt for bloggers to use in writing. 

Today's prompt is...

How do you de-stress/take care of yourself?

Image result for biblical rest

One of the things I struggle with the most in this world is stress and worrying. In fact, I have done so for the majority of my teen and adult years. And while I'd like to say that I'm better and I don't struggle with this anymore, I know that's simply not true. But I have gotten better. And do you know what helped me do that?

REST


Now I don't just mean sleep...


I mean rest in the biblical sense. 


It's getting away and spending time with God. 

It's a break from the stress and the worrying.


It's a break from working far more hours than are required all the time. 


And don't worry. I'm not just pointing fingers here.


No. I'm speaking to myself with this. If it speaks to you too, that's great :)


The thing is, we all need a break from time to time from the busy-ness of life. Resting isn't just a good idea. It's actually a command given to us by God. 

Image result for Exodus 23:12

That means that we are supposed to get away from common work and we are to rest. We're not to work during that time. But instead, we are to dedicate it to spending time with our Heavenly Father, worshipping Him.

But do you want to know something?

Yes, prayer is important. But de-stressing your life takes more than just prayer alone.

You must take action to make the necessary changes in your life. You must purposefully find ways to de-stress your life. Learn to calm yourself in the way you handle things.

Jesus invited us to come to Him if we are weary and overburdened. Jesus promised to give us the rest we need if we are weary, worn out, or overworked. We just have to be intentional/purposeful about going to Him anytime we feel we are going over the edge of peace and into that pit of stress. We have to let His presence refresh (and de-stress) us.



Maybe you are reading this and you're feeling like me. You say "yes" so often that you struggle uttering a "no." Perhaps you feel compelled to do so much, at times, that you are physically worn out. Maybe you feel driven instead of led. Remember... You have to come apart from a busy routine before you come apart yourself. You have to get away from everything before you come apart physically, mentally, and emotionally.

And I know. Trust me. Remember? I'm saying all this to myself too.

It is tempting to do everything that everybody else is doing, to be involved in everything, know everything, hear everything, and be everywhere. But that's not God's best for you. Be willing to separate yourself from so much activity befor you come apart at the seams! Spend time with God. Ask Him to give peace and calm and order to your day.

Take a break.

Rest.

De-stress.

Image result for psalm 116:7

No comments:

Post a Comment