Monday, September 19, 2016

Blogging Flashbacks

Today I'm linking up with Andrea from Momfessionals for her Tuesday Confessionals series.

And I'm also linking up with Bailey at Braveloveblog, as part of her annual Blogtember Challenge, where bloggers write/post every single day in the month of September.

Each day Bailey gives a prompt for bloggers to use in writing. 

Today's prompt is...

Take a look at some of your favorite blog posts you've written.

I started this blog a little over 7 years ago. 



As I looked back through my old posts this weekend, I found myself struggling to pick which posts were my favorites. So I decided to buck the system and instead take a look down memory lane via my blog...

My very first post was a look ahead at how my life would change in just 21 days. 

I use my blog as a place to share my hopes and dreams. I share about my frustrations and my sadness. I share about my family and my students. I share about my work and about the love of Jesus. I share because this is how I can best express myself. 

This is my creative outlet.

I love to express myself through words. 

It's therapeutic.

And I enjoy it.

I love to write. 

So let's take a trip down memory lane in the blogging neighborhood...

There have been posts where I wrote about lessons I've learned. A funny one was the time I wrote about how roaches taught me a lesson in the wee hours of the morning one day. There was one about acceptance, one about teaching the teacher in me, one about letting go and one about being thankful. I wrote one about lessons learned from Dr. Seuss and Disney. I wrote about leaving your comfort zone and lessons learned while packing, all about saying goodbye, and even lessons learned while sitting in traffic. I wrote about keeping trash out of the temple, why we should be more like ducks or even violins, how we can choose to either complain or rejoice, and how we need to Set the World on Fire. I wrote about seeing beyond pictures29 lessons in 29 years, a list of things that made me smile, and how some things are simply Beyond MeI wrote about finding beauty in pain and about how the question How are you doing irks me. I wrote about lessons learned in Africa, while roadtripping, in Selma, and even lessons learned with my nieces. Most recently, I wrote about how I de-stress with REST

There have been posts about my birthday, like the time I celebrated with The 10 Days of Elisabeth's BirthdayThere was my 27th birthday list, my 29 in my 29th list, my 30 by 30 list, my updated 30 by 30 list (which I clearly need to update again), my 30th birthday, and my 31st by the hour.

Then there have been the posts about life in Senegal, like how grocery shopping is so different here than it is in the States or the time I listed the many faces I encountered on my walks to/from school. I once made a Dakar passport list, sharing all the sites I'd like to see in this city I call "home" at the moment. I wrote about some big news I had of how God was calling me to change positions on the missions side of things (even though, later, He changed that again). I wrote about the word "wait," and how it applied to the calling on my life. I wrote about the things I missed about Senegal while I was in the States. I answered the question, What is it you like so much about SenegalI wrote a "just to clarify" post, which turned out to not be totally accurate soon after. I wrote about my 6 year anniversary of arriving in Senegal, about my missions storySenegal's Independence Day, and why I came back to Senegal earlier than planned. I wrote about 7 years in Africa and I wrote about this adventure God's called me on.

In February 2012, I started my Dear _____ series, where I write "letters" to whatever topics pop in my head. There was the patriotic one, the numbers one, the ABCs one, the Staff Retreat one, the Thanksgiving one, a back to school one, my Christmas 2013 post, the letter to DA post, a Veterans Day one and one all about teaching. I even wrote a letter to my blog. I wrote about why I teach, a letter to my 16 year old self, and my 1st year teacher self. I wrote a letter to my 31st and I wrote a letter to my high school self too.

I've also written about my family. Back in October of 2012, I wrote about my feelings on being an aunt. I wrote about the best Christmas ever spent with my family (the one where I was surprised at the airport by my oldest niece and her mommy and daddy) and I wrote about my parent's 29th anniversary. I wrote about the time I was afraid I'd lose my dad and I even wrote a letter to my dad (ironically, exactly one year to the day before he died). I wrote a letter to my parents and then later, I wrote again about my parents, expressing the honor and privilege I felt in serving them. I recapped my dad's and my trip to Mobile, AL to watch Navy play South Alabama. I wrote about Thanksgiving 2014, my first Thanksgiving with my family in 6 years. I wrote all about my mom last year. I wrote about being called Zizzie, the value of a moment (thinking of my dad while writing) and I wrote about the day my heart broke in two and 3 months later on how I missed my dad more than ever. I wrote about a special family trip to the zoo, a slumber party with my nieces, all about my brother, and the 1 year anniversary of my dad's death. I wrote about how I'm blessed even in the midst of painful family situations, #theauntlife, and my oldest niece turning 4.

There have been posts about teaching, like the thankful for teaching post I wrote in May 2013 or the post where I wrote about how a picture is sometimes worth 1000 words. I wrote about how it's more than just a job and shared my prayer as a teacher, the dreams of my students, and the anniversary of an important teacher's march. I wrote about Special Olympics and the "R word," how teachers are learners too, and I even sent a shout out to all teachers. I wrote about washing their feetWorld Autism Awareness Daystrange things teachers saymoms according to 4th graders, and I wrote about why I teach. I wrote about love and languagepreparing to teach 5th grade, saying see ya later to my squirrely crew, and gave my teacher stats. I gave a tour of my current classroom, introduced this year's students, and talked about what they wish I knew.

And there have been other random posts too, like my 10 years out of high school post, the post connecting songs and memories, my top 10 Christmas movies list, an ode to my dog, all about a favorite hymn, a list of things I couldn't live without, my participation in a Scarf Swap 2014 and the word "beautiful." I wrote about my outrage and frustration over 2000 people killed in Nigeria, with little coverage broadcasted in the US. I wrote about the word "home," and wrote a post about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. I wrote about my sadness over Alabama accepting a sinful lifestyle and I wrote about how people can sometimes surprise you with their goodness. I wrote a prayer for my country, about my 6 year blog-aversary, why I go to church, all about grace, and about my faith. I wrote about Pentecost Sunday, daydreaming of England, and all about who I'd switch lives with if given the choice.

I've written a lot over the years. 

So to those of you who have joined me, I say thank you. Thank you for joining me as I write about my life, my ministry/work, my family, and more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment