Sunday, September 27, 2015

A Fancy Grilled Cheese

I was watching Farmhouse Rules on Food Network the other day and she made a delicious looking "fancy" grilled cheese. 

It had all these fancy schmancy ingredients, but still looked super easy. So I said, I'm gonna make that... 

So here's my version, which has been tweaked some...


First up are the ingredients.

You need:

* bread * mayo * monterey jack cheese * tomato * red onion * avocado * cilantro *

The directions are super easy.

Slice the cheese real thin. I used Monterey Jack for this sandwich, but you could use whatever cheese you like.


Side note... My niece still calls this cheese "Pawpaw's cheese" since it was the snack she and her Pawpaw shared when she'd visit he and my mom :)

Anywho - Back to the sandwich...

Slice all the veggies super thin. You don't want the tomato to make the sandwich too watery.


Next, you need a few leaves of cilantro. 


Once everything's prepped, spread mayo (yes, mayo!) on one side of each slice of bread. 


Then put the bread, mayo side down, in a skillet on medium. Layer the sandwich with cheese first, followed by the veggies. Then top with the other slice of bread, mayo side up.

 
FYI - Those are 2 sandwiches, not 1. I just forgot to take a photo with the top slice on. Also, I sprinkled a little garlic powder on top after this photo.

Cook sandwiches until it's as brown as you like. 


You can serve these sandwiches with soup, salads, chips, or anything else you like. I had mine with some of my mom's pesto pasta salad. Oh and the plates? That's the fancy stuff for such a fancy sandwich :)

No comments:

Post a Comment