Friday, September 18, 2015

What I Wish I Would've Said

Every so often, I describe a collection of moments when I so wish I could have stopped biting my tongue and told the person talking to me how I truly felt. 

I'd originally planned to wait until I had a new collection of moments. But alas, one moment was so memorable, that I had to let it have a post all to itself.

Here is a conversation I had with the cashier at a local store. 

I'd bought some pajamas and coloring books and she assumed they were for my own personal children. 

When I told her they were for my 2 nieces, she asked, Well how many kids do you have? 

I told her none and she got a funny look on her face and said, and I quote, Well, honey I hate to tell you this, but if you waited this late, you gonna be to old to have 'em. After all, when women our age have youngins, they come out of the womb all retarded and stuff and you know, those type of people are hard to deal with. They just annoy you and get in the way and stuff. I tell ya, I just think we should bring back institutions. Then those kids wouldn't be in our schools, messing up the learnin' of the normal smart youngins.

I was so shocked by her rudeness and disrespect and pure ignorant stupidity that I just didn't say a word. Since I'd already paid by this point, I just grabbed my bags, and left. 

But what I wish I could've said was... 

First of all, using the word, retarded, makes you sound dumb. Is your vocabulary really that small? 

And you know what, if God decided to bless me with a child with a disability, then I wouldn't think of it as a bad thing. 

Until you've had the opportunity to spend time with and learn from someone like that...

Until you've sat with a person such as that and watched them master a skill and cheered with them...

Until you've received a hug or a handshake or a smile...

Until you've watched them prove naysayers (like your ignorant self) wrong...

Until you've devoted your life/career to advocating for them...

Until you've opened your incredibly ignorant mindset...

Then you'll never know. You'll never know the joy that comes from loving on and working with a child with a disability. You'll never know the pride at telling those naysayers to kiss your behind.

You'll never know.

But that's fine. ...because I've made it my mission in life to educate idiots like you. 

Now, I didn't say all that. 

But oh my word, do I wish I had! 

No comments:

Post a Comment