Saturday, December 31, 2016

Looking Back at 2016

I thought today would be a good day to take a little look back at some of the highlights from 2016 as we get ready to say goodbye to this year...

* January *

2016 started off well. In January, I told a story which included the announcement that I was heading back to Senegal a little earlier than planned. I also wrote a letter to Selma, the city I'd taught in for a year and a half, sharing all the things/people I'd miss in the city I grew to love so very much. The ones at the top of the list were the 3 ladies (pictured below) and the kids that I worked the closest with at my school in Selma...


* February *

In February, I introduced you to the 10 main reasons I came back to Dakar earlier than planned. I celebrated my brother's birthday. And I wrote about an article that moved me to tears, talking about washing my student's feet.


* March *

March was a "slow" month on the blog. I did write a Life Lately post which included a few cute kid pictures. I shared my thoughts at the 11 month-iversary of my dad's passing. And I also shared my thoughts on a few issues at the end of the month...


* April *

April was the opposite of March on the blog. I wrote quite a bit, starting the month off by doing my part to spread awareness for World Autism Awareness Day. A few days later I shared some of my students' favorite parts of living in Senegal for Senegal's Independence Day. I shared a few of the silly things teachers say. I also shared my feelings on it being the one year anniversary of my dad's death. And while I'd been dreading the day for a full year, it turned out to not be as bad as I thought it'd be. I had AMAZING people "steal" me away that day, so I wouldn't have to be alone. I was blessed for sure.


* May *

May started off with a post all about moms, according to my 4th graders. Not long after that, I answered the question "Why Teach"... I then wrote a post about Love and Language, which involved one of my most favorite memories of 2016 - when a group of 10 fourth graders taught me so much about sharing love to another person. Later on, I shared a bit about Pentecost Sunday. And I ended the month with a post where I said See Ya Later to the group I dubbed, my "squirrels."



* June *

I started June off by sharing my Teacher's Stats. Not long after that, I dealt with an extremely painful loss and shared how saying, "I am blessed" helped me process the pain. A little later, I shared some lessons learned with nieces. I shared a bit about the good ol' Red, White, and Blue. And I ended the month talking about #theauntlife.


* July *

I wrote a few posts in July, but my favorites were my Teaching and Learning post, my Summer 2016 recap post, and my 7th anniversary of arriving in Senegal post.


* August *

August is a great month. Why? It's my birthday month, of course :) I wrote a letter to 31 and shared glimpses from my 31st birthday. And then 2 days after my big day is the birthday of one of my favorite people - my oldest niece! School started towards the middle of August and I became a 5th grade teacher to a fun group of kids I now call "mine." I wrote a letter to my high school self and I ended the month talking about some of the seemingly little things that made my life so worthwhile.


* September *

September was one of my busiest months on the blog, since I tried to conquer the Blogtember Challenge, where you write one post a day for every single day in the month. I didn't quite get that many written, but I came close with posts like... What Brings Me Joy, Daydreaming of England, Adventure, Stories from My Classroom, A Weekend Away, Laughter's Good for the Soul, and Advice to Anyone Reading.


* October *

I started off October with a bit of fun sarcasm. Then not long after that, I became serious and shared about one of my heroes. I listed some of the things that scare me as a teacher and also some of my thoughts on grief. I shared a few of the "quirks" that make me who I am. And then I ended the month with a pretend tea date with a friend.

* Source *

* November * 

I started off the month sharing some lessons learned in waiting. I shared a few of the things I'm most thankful for. And I ended November with a bang, so to speak, as the last post I wrote in November, If God Gives a Teacher a Dream, is currently my most viewed post EVER with a total (as of this post) of 623 views. In that post, I shared my big exciting news - that we were expanding our Special Education Dept. at my school, and starting in August, I'll be the teacher of the Self-Contained Special Education class, a class for students with academic, behavioral, and/or physical disabilities which prevent them from functioning 100% of the time in a "regular" education classroom. 


* December *

I started off December by introducing my 25 Days of Christmas Giving Project, where I'd hoped to raise $5000-$6000 to furnish my new Special Ed. classroom with all the supplies/equipment my students will need to succeed next school year (and beyond). P.S. Thanks to the generosity of truly AMAZING people, I totally exceeded that goal! I also did a quick Q & A post, answering questions about this new class. I shared all about our Kids Club's Happy Birthday Jesus party. I wrote all about my Bible and then a few days later, shared all about my most favorite person ever, all thanks to a verse in Isaiah.

No comments:

Post a Comment